Sunday, December 6, 2009

Education Revolution

Dear Tal,

I've been teaching for over forty years, in Ohio and currently in Florida. At present, I am teaching kindergarten and, respectfully, I think you are out of touch how strange things really are in today's standards based, test based climate. My children are allowed a whopping five minutes a day for recess. We have no blocks, no dress up areas, no legos, and no easels. I am constantly frustrated by what I call the annihilation of childhood. I am to maintain rigorous instruction from "bell to bell". I would like, before I no longer teach, to have some opportunity to bring children together in a way that you have done. I figure that about one in one hundred politicians and educators think like you. I know what really matters for children, I would love to find a way to do what you are doing, with young children. Is there any hope for me? Is there anyone in south Florida that wants to start something in education that is noble and personal?

Tom Tenerovich (Mr. T.)

P.S. As I read your book I alternately laughed and cried as you and your middle schoolers worked through the process of living and learning. Also, is it possible for me in Florida to both work within state law and start something like you did? I can't wait to try some things out in my classroom tomorrow.

****

Dear Mr. T,

Thank you for contacting me and for your generous words.

I have nothing but admiration for you and your life-long efforts to teach well. I also have hope in the fact that you say that "you can't wait to get in the classroom to try some new things..." That means the hope is alive, and you are doing your work nobly.

My knowledge of the system in FL is limited. But I believe that there must be someone out there trying new ways.

My suggestion: contact Jerry Mintz at "Education Revolution." He regularly visits classrooms around the country to assess what they are doing and how to help teachers like you.

here is the website,

It appears that there is a lot going on Tallahassee.

Keep up the good fight, my brother.

With respect, Tal

****

Tal,

I am overwhelmed that you responded so quickly and with such a good heart. Thank you for your encouragement and links to people that I can connect with to investigate my dreams and desires. I really don't want to complain anymore about standards, rigor, and incessant testing. I long for the chance to be the joy, inspire the joy, learn the joy from humble and sincere growing with children as we explore who we are and what we want to be. If it's okay, I'll let you know what happens. I'm finishing your book now and I wish the chapters never ended.

Yours, Mr. T.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment